Epilepsy and exercise

Do you have epilepsy? Have ever done some some exercise then suddenly had a seizure or felt as though a seizure is coming? As an epileptic i certain have had that experience many times. It often occurs when I increase the intensity of exercise. Now i’m very fit my seizures have decreased dramatically, however when i am unfit the seizures increase.

If you’ve had this experience don’t be discouraged because fitness is a key way to decrease seizure frequency. The fitter you become as an epileptic, the better you will be mentally and neurologically. Exercise is known to help with anxiety and depression

It is important to increase the intensity of your exercise very slowly when you have epilepsy so that you do not have seizures while exercising.

As your body becomes more tuned to exercise you will likely see a difference in your condition. It is also important you maintain exercise levels too.

LETS BE CONFIDENT TOGETHER.

REMEMBER TO SEEK ADVICE FROM MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS ON THE BEST WAY FOR YOU TO EXERCISE AND INCREASE INTENSITY. ALWAYS STOP EXERCISING IF YOU FEEL UNWELL OR FEEL A SEIZURE COMING.

1 Like

Hi David,

Thank you so much for sharing this! I am a very active person and had never thought of the correlation between seizures and epilepsy, so that’s really interesting…

I think this is a really important share considering how many more people have got into their fitness since lockdown, and from my experience it isn’t something that has been brought up in the past, so thank you :slight_smile:

Hello Becca,

I’m glad this has helped you, the exercise link is something I noticed when during lockdown all exercise facilities were closed, then reopened a year or so later.

Exercise is very important for all of us with epilepsy, especially if you’ve had a stressful day.

There’s one other thing I will soon upload to help others with epilepsy soon.

1 Like