Catalysts that can be triggering

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well. I have a question here from my mom, I’m hoping you can help.
“Other than the usual stressful situations and physical triggers, what are the other catalysts that can be avoided in order to not get a seizure despite taking the medication properly?”

1 Like

Hi Shami,

We try to ensure our son sleeps regularly, eats(!), has lots of fluids and remains healthy. Any lack of one of these can trigger a seizure, as well as stress and heat. Stay safe and well.

1 Like

Hi Shami,
I hope you’re staying well.
Key triggers for me used to be lack of and inappropriate foods (I used to eat nothing much more than chocolate and cereal which isn’t good!), too much coffee or alcohol, tiredness and stress. Trying to be sensible and monitoring what I’d been up to prior my seizures was a big help.
Stay safe.

1 Like

Hi Shami,
For me, my main triggers are feeling very overwhelmed and under a lot of stress, for example, during my GCSES and also sleep deprivation for example when flying. As a family, we all try to get enough sleep and I made sure to have lots of coping mechanisms such as taking breaks and seeing friends during exams too! Hope this helps

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Anoushka. That definitely helps, I can relate to having a seizure when overwhelmed and stressed. School was not an easy time for me. My friends have helped me a lot to. Guess its official, they’re my coping mechanisms.

Hey Katie. My mom always tries to do that, tries to figure out what went wrong before my seizures. Wow I didn’t know too much coffee could be a bad thing, thanks. I’ll definitely keep the food part in mind.

I’ll keep that in mind. Heat and stress has caused a seizure or two in the past for me, I can definitely relate. Hope your son is doing better now. Thanks.