After having a seizure, is it normal to be scared a few days after it

I’ve had epilepsy since I was 17 and I’m now 35. This time I feel so scared

Hi Jay
My experience as a parent is that my child could be ‘out of sorts’ for days after a seizure and it can take some people days to fully recover and be back to ‘normal’. It might be worth you speaking to your healthcare team about how you fell, particularly if this is different to what you experienced previously. Young Epilepsy have lots of information about managing anxiety on The Channel http://thechannel.org.uk/and anxiety was the first emotion to be the focus on the new Wellbeing Space What is Anxiety? | The Channel.
Hope things improve for you.

Hi Jay,

I can totally relate to this as I also have had epilepsy since I was 17. I am not 27 and if anything my seizures have got worse.

I agree with everything Lisa is suggesting- there are so many places on line that you can find reassurance and techniques for easing anxiety (we have advice on this on our Wellbeing Space too).

Another thing that has really helped me is by speaking to other people going through the same thing, because it almost ‘normalises’ to some extent what we’re going through. Seizures are scary, especially if you have them in clusters and you don’t know when the next one is going to be… so speaking to others that go through the same fear can be comforting.

I also sometimes take some deep breaths and practise the affirmation “I am in control” to help me feel a bit more in control when the seizures are taking over. I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Becca

Hi Jay,

My experience with epilepsy since I was 16 has also included feeling scared or strange afterwards for a few days. Depending on the length of the seizure, I recommend not going into work/coming in at a later time in the afternoon instead if a seizure occurs during the morning of getting ready or in the middle of the night. This is recommended as it is always best to rest after having a seizure. Usually, if you feel like you’re in the right mind set, a short walk or sitting outside can help in order to get fresh air and help your body awaken.

If you mean scared like constant anxiety, there is a helpful website that offers very helpful advice and handy information on; What is Anxiety? | The Channel. They offer advice on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Art Therapy, Meditations, Podcasts, Breathing exercises etc. I have recently discovered a grounding technique that has shown to help plenty of people having anxiety attacks in the past that it is helpful to focus on your surroundings and try list 5 things you can see, 4 things you can hear, 3 things you can touch, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste. I have also used this technique in the past and it is very helpful to focus your attention on something else and a reminder that your body is fine.

It is also a good idea to join more epilepsy support groups online, such as like the Hub right now but other groups too in order to share and discuss struggles and find more ways to help deal with anxiety. It is key to remember that you are not alone with this and there is support everywhere.

Hello yes the feeling of being scared is normal. It doesn’t happen to all epileptics or even happen in all seizures with someone that experiences the fearful symptom. However, our body is just adjusting in the best way it can to the situation, by becoming periodically more instinctive. As humans we are often very detached from our instincts and we allow ourselves to be unaware of our surroundings. But sometimes after seizures instincts will heighten because other things we rely on such as memory and full conciousness are compromised. This problem is what contributes to the feeling of fear. On other occasions it is anxiety, especially if you have a history of anxiety in other scenarios other than the seizures alone.

As epileptics we often wake up from seizures but will not be fully aware of our surrounds for several minutes, sometimes 30minutes or longer. Personally i haven’t experienced fear after a seizure, i more experience memory loss, dizziness, migraines and confusion after seizures.

I’ve been having seizures 21.5 years