Support for young teen

Hi, I’m looking to find an online community for a young girl I support at work.

She has had a very traumatic upbringing and has only recently got an official epilepsy diagnosis. She is currently really struggling with her mental health and self-esteem and feels as though she doesn’t fit in as she knows no one else with epilepsy.

Would you say this online community is suitable for the use of a young teen to meet others with epilepsy (with the support of a trusted adult due to her upbringing) or is there any other online support groups that you would recommend which would be more suitable?

Thank you in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi there,

Thank you for your post and I’m so sorry to hear about what this young person is going through as a result of her epilepsy. Epilepsy can have a huge impact on a young person’s mental health, particularly when it comes to Isolation and low self-esteem, so we’re pleased that you have reached out to us and hope we can offer you both as much support as possible.

The Hub is a great space for young people to share their experiences and connect with others who understand and are going through the same thing. We do, however, also hold online support groups and organise face-to-face meetups, along with other services, which may be better options for her under the circumstances.

If you drop me an e-mail on helpline@youngepilepsy.org.uk , I can chat to you about this further. It might be better for us to have a phone call if you would be happy to? If so, please leave your mobile number in the e-mail.

She may also find useful resources on our Mental Health Wellbeing Space: Mental Health Wellbeing Space | The Channel

Thank you :slight_smile:

Becca