Having a Seizure at Uni

Hey everyone. I’m interested to hear the experiences of anyone who has had a seizure at university. I’ve had epilepsy for years, but my first ever seizure away from my family home occurred at university in February 2020. It was a horrible experience, really knocking my confidence for a while. It happened randomly at my university house, in front of my housemates. They were a brilliant help, did everything right as I had briefed them too. But still, I remained deeply embarrassed as there is something really unnerving about being so vulnerable in front of people who aren’t your parents. That’s how it was in my case, anyway. Intrigued to hear of other people’s experiences, and whether they struggled with their first seizure away from home.

1 Like

I had my first seizure within a week of moving into my student house because I wasn’t used to the new routine. I had also previously explained to my housemates what to do and they were able to help me in all the right ways but as you say it was still a bit embarrassing. I found that as I got closer with my housemates we were able to have a joke about it which really settled me. I was lucky though that I was only an hour away from my parents so they did come to hospital with me for the first 2 seizures I had but from then on I felt comfortable with going alone or with my best friend who I happened to live with.

Hiya!
Having seizures alone was really scary for me. I used to dread it and was worried for my own safety. Top tip: make friends with campus security!!! They have been fantastic. They check in on me regularly to make sure I’m ok, they understand my situation and know the procedure and we have a laugh all the time. Definitely recommend it if you haven’t already.

The first time I met one of my flatmates I was having a seizure and I was so embarrassed. Luckily he was really nice about it and supported me and has kept an eye on me ever since.

I use jokes as a coping mechanism and luckily all my uni friends find them funny and join in which made me more comfortable around them and felt like they understood.
I’m lucky to have had a positive experience with seizures at uni and so grateful for the support I get from everyone around me.

2 Likes