Living away at uni with epilepsy

hi, i’m just looking to hear other people’s experiences about living away at uni with epilepsy. :relieved:
I’m alice, I was diagnosed with epilepsy in june (at the end of my first year of uni) and i’ve been on medication ever since. my first and only seizure was in june 2022 and i haven’t had any others since then.
i’m in my second year of uni now and am living in private accommodation (where there are security guards who the seizure alarm on my apple watch can alert so they can come up to my room and check on me if i have a seizure) but i really don’t want to live in halls again in my third year and want to live in a shared house. obviously houses are more private and don’t have security guards/reception staff, so if my housemates were out there would be no one there if i had a seizure. i am currently looking to live with two others, meaning it’s quite likely that i will be home alone some of the time.
this is something my parents and i are worried about because while i’m sure my housemates would help if i had a seizure while they were at home, i can’t rely on them always being home and don’t want to be a burden to them.
i was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this! again, i have not had a seizure for 18 months and am on a therapeutic dose of medication, but we will not know if my epilepsy is controlled without an EEG :crossed_fingers:
thank you in advance!!

Hello!

My name is Phoebe and I have been diagnosed with epilepsy since I was 15. My parents worried about how I would cope with handling my GCSE’s, A levels and degree during my time at university. Only recently (the last year I am now 20) have my seizures dropped from 2-3 a day to 1-2 every other month.

To ensure my safety during my time in education is letting the surrounding community know about my condition and how they would deal with the situation before anything happened. I know it was awkward meeting new people and the first thing was me telling them that I have temporal lobe epilepsy and they should watch out just incase I were to have a seizure, but the majority of people understood I was afraid to be alone and they would look after me. By making sure my friends and teachers knew about my condition meant wherever I went people would be there to help. Whether walking to the shop, to classes or heading out for the night, people would follow and make sure I got back safely. On times where I did travel alone or was left alone, I would notify the people I shared accommodation with knew where I was and when I got home just to be sure. And if they didn’t hear back, they would come and check.

I also carried an alarm which I pressed when feeling like I was going unconscious to alert my friends and if that button was pressed they would come to rescue.

Instead of worrying, believe that there are good people in this world who will help look out for you!