Facial Tics and epilepsy

I have a 10 year old son, he was diagnosed with epilepsy when he was 8 years old, he has been an Lamotrigine now for almost 2 years and has been seizure free for 18 months, just recently he has developed a range of facial tics, has anyone else found this with their children and could it be linked to his epilepsy or the medication?

Hello Jeg,
My daughter is 9 and on Levetiracetam (Keppra) which has generally controlled her seizures very well for 18 months. She developed a vocal tic (grunting noise) about 9 months after starting to use Keppra. I asked our epilepsy team about it and they said the tic is not likely to be a direct side effect of medication, but an indication of underlying stress that could be connected to her epilepsy - for example, the learning difficulties she experiences.

HI Jeg, This might be too old now but my daughter was diagnosed with epilepsy at 18 months. She’s now 6. She is on Briveteracetam (a different version of Keppra), Lamotrigine and Clobazam. After she started Lamotrigine her seizures exclusively became facial tic seizures. They were either like she was repeatedly swallowing (lip smacking) or on one side of her face (like an electric shock). The normally last 2-5 minutes and she has no postictal phase.

We always assumed that because her seizures had been very different and much longer in the past, this was just an evolution in her epilepsy. I would be very surprised if it were a result of the medication.