I think I’m having seizures

Hi I’m wondering if anyone can shed any light as of today I’ve been referred to a neurologist as my gp suspects I’m having seizures during the early hours of the morning .
There is no pattern to these episodes but they wake me up and it feels like my brain is rolling around inside my skull it’s horrible and has no warning I don’t move and they don’t last long . But afterwards I’m left with a sudden urge to use the bathroom , confused sometimes , very dizzy and have nausea . It feels like it affects my eyes too almost a sensation like they are rolling .
Does anyone here experience this ?
I am really worried now she is saying she thinks it’s seizures.
Thank you
Jody

1 Like

Hi Jody,

Sorry to hear about what you’re going through- it is really scary being in the unknown with this, and I can imagine you’re really tired and sometimes worried about going to sleep if you’re having them at night. How old are you and where abouts are you based if you don’t mind me asking?

It could be a number of things, so I until you see your neurologist, try not to think of it being as epilepsy, as it may create more anxiety for you.

From personal experience in having nocturnal seizures, I also have similar symptoms when I’ve woken up from a seizure- I need to use the bathroom straight away, feel confused and sometimes throw up. I tend to pass back out asleep after, which then makes me even more tired the next day and then that gives me memory problems and makes me feel really detached the next day, so I completely empathise with you.

If you are having them at night, it might be worth looking into epilepsy alarms/ monitors, or even some sort of recording device, so that you can 1) track them better, 2) show the footage to a neurologist, as it may be easier for them to confirm if it epilepsy or not, and 3) help you figure out the best ways to keep you safe at night (like sleeping on the other side of the bed).

I hope you get the answers you need and please try not to worry too much. There are lots of people going through the same thing, so you aren’t alone!

Keep in touch with Young Epilepsy so that we can offer you some support you if you get your diagnosis :slight_smile:

Becca

1 Like

Hi becca , thing is I’m aware the whole time it’s happening which I didn’t think I would be if it was a seizure . Thank you for you advise I’ll try sleeping the other side for a while and see if that helps. Thank you so much .
Jody x

I’m 37 and based in Hampshire uk. X

Hi Jody,

You’re very welcome! There are over 40 different types of epilepsy and a lot of seizures you do remain conscious for. The seizures I have in the daytime I am fully aware I am having them at the time, but I’m still not in control of them.

Let us know how things go with your neurologist. Although our services primarily support children and young people up to 25, I can give you some resources and signpost you to other organisations that will be more suitable for you. :slight_smile:

Becca