Travelling advice

Hey everyone! I am thinking and hoping to go travelling in the future and when it is safe to do so. I was just wondering if anyone else had gone travelling alone or with friends and if you had any advice or tips? Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Jasmine,
I did spend a lot of time travelling on my own and although there were a few worrying occasions I’m so pleased I did. I always made sure my family were well aware of my travel plans, I had travel insurance that covered my epilepsy, I split my drugs between various bags (carrying them in hand luggage as much as possible) and took a few weeks extra - in case and always told those I met how to support me if I did have a seizure. I also carried around spare food which was a blessing. One of the side effects from the drugs was a loss of memory, so I wrote endless diaries during every trip just in case I wouldn’t be able to remember fully in years to come. A good read! I hope that’s a help and do enjoy your travels, when safe to go. Katie

2 Likes

Hi Katie, thank you so much for the helpful and reassuring advice! Really useful :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Jasmine,

That’s lovely that you have plans to go travelling in the future and I hope it all goes well. I actually travelled by myself the first time to visit a friend in Stockholm for the weekend this year in March. Firstly, when I booked the flights online, I informed that I had epilepsy and it would be preferably to have a sit in the aisle or to be near the front where there is space to lie my body to the side in case a tonic clonic seizure occurred while on the plane. Also, it is a good idea to have travel insurance and to bring a suitable amount of medication with you and perhaps more than you need (e.g if you’re away for 2 weeks, perhaps bring 3-4 weeks worth medication instead) in case your flight is cancelled or moved so you won’t need to worry about running out. Before you leave for travelling, make sure that you definitely have the right amount of medication for the dates you’re aware for. I kept my medication in plastic bags in my carry-on/hand luggage so they would be easy to take out. It is also handy to wear an epilepsy awareness bracelet/alert bracelet or necklace that has a symbol so people are aware or have your emergency contact’s number on the back of a necklace or bracelet so they could call them. It is very important to make sure your family and friends are fully aware of your travel plans. I hope everything has been going well and enjoy your travels! :slight_smile: