Has anyone ever had NEAD/dissociative seizures?

I was diagnosed with NEAD when I was 16. It got so out of control that I ended up being kicked out of school so they didn’t have to deal with it. I was always made to think by my doctors that it was fault I was having these seizures and it took a long time to get any treatment. The fact that they’re now treated so much more seriously by neurologists (from what I’ve read anyway) really frustrates me.

2 Likes

I started to have dissociative seizures when I was 14 after taking Keppra. I experienced these seizures a lot of time in front of friends and I was always so embarrassed. Also, without a doubt, I would end up in A&E having to be sedated as the seizure would last for hours. It took a long time for me to receive treatment as well. It took around 5 years before I started my treatment in 2016. However, when I started my treatment of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), my dissociative seizures did stop and I have not had one since, which is still surreal to me. My CBT focused on what happened before I would have one of these seizures and how to control it, and most importantly, what would cause them. I understand that CBT does not work for everyone, but I would highly recommend CBT as it has changed my life.

I hope this helps!

Liv :purple_heart:

1 Like