Additional Diagnoses

Hi, not sure if this is the right place for this, but I was wondering if there were any parents on here whose children have also subsequently been diagnosed with other issues? Our daughter will likely be diagnosed with autism and/or aspergers in the next few months.

Hi @stuart.willsher, I was diagnosed with epilepsy at the age of 3 and then autism at the age of 15. I choose to use the term autism over Asperger for multiple reasons.

It was definitely a tough journey but things are much better for me now that I’m able to understand myself better and I believe my parents feel the same.

I don’t know where you’re based or how old your daughter is but there are support groups for parents of autistic girls. It’s tricky navigating the world as an autistic female as autism is primarily seen as a ‘male condition’ and affects females differently. So finding a support group may be helpful for you and your daughter.

If you want to read more about my personal experiences you can visit my blog. I hope this has been helpful!

Hi thanks for the reply! My daughter is only 3 so we are still at the start of her journey. Epilepsy is now completely under control so given her lack of speech, social skills and ‘quirks’, doctors are now keen to start investigating for autism. It was a different doctor who suggested Aspergers so not sure when she’ll be tested for that.

I’m glad that they’re investigating now as she is due to start school next September which realistically she isn’t ready for, but at least if and she will get an autism diagnosis, we can start to adjust again.

But absolutely as and when she is diagnosed - and I’m fairly sure she will get a diagnosis at some point - we will look into support groups for us and her.